In 1888 Naradhan woolshed was built and probably designed by a man who was considered to be the most famous of the woolshed builders of the Riverina. William McFadzean of Narrandera. The shed was built for the owner of Naradhan station, and then shortly afterwards passed into the hands of Thomas Templeton, a great Grandfather of the old owner, and was used as a depot shed for all the surrounding farms until well into the 1930’s.
The shed is made from cypress pine and built in a “T” formation. In the early days of blade shearing it appears to have been a 28 stand shed, then in 1903 overhead equipment was installed, powered by an oil fired single cylinder engine and the number of stands reduced to 14. These days it has reduced right down to an electrical 3 stand and the owners at present run only a small amount of sheep.
During 1996 with the assistance of the heritage grant, the shed was fully restored externally.
- The entire shed has been re-clad with new cypress pine and fitted with new shutters and doors. On the original shed there was no guttering and it is believed this helped- especially in later years to accelerate the deterioration of the timber. Thus the decision was made to update and fit guttering to the roof area, with down- pipes draining the water away from the shed to help keep the foundations dry. Many of these were found to have rotted through the ground level.
- Nineteen new windows were fitted in place. These were made by the builder responsible doer the major part of the restoration work. Harry Murrells from Ungarie. Harry’s expertise and wide knowledge of building were just the right answer to the exacting task of the restoration work to be done, and it took 3 men. Harry, Tom and Richard (Templeton) almost 3 days to putty the 114 panes of glass into place before being fitted to the shed. However, the effort was well worthwhile as they really make the shed look finished.
- Cypress timber for the external cladding was cut and supplied by Grant’s Sawmilling company from Narrandera and the Oregon timber and glass for the windows was supplied by Griffith building supplies.
- Further work still needs to be done, especially inside, and will continue over the next few years, but for the time being the interior is almost in its original state.
The shed was officially re-opened by the mayor of Bland Shire Mr. David Bolte on Saturday 4th October. 1997. Over 300 people attended on the day with a family picnic day and viewing of the shed.